Friday, April 20, 2012

on her first 'bad' run...

...kinda took me by surprise, but as usual, looking back it makes sense but during the run I was very confused.

I have had a very full, busy, emotional week. I am celebrating my daughters birthday today (she's 8) and I am doing Bust A Move tomorrow and birthday parties on Sunday...plus running my business and balancing my life.
So I decided to have a shorter run on Thursday morning before work - a mere 3 K (HA HA how far I have come to think 3 K can be described by the word 'mere') so I thought since I am not going LONGER I will go FASTER!!!

Off I went. I went faster than I have ever gone. I am sure that I left little dust clouds behind me as I dashed down the path. Ha.

My lungs hated me. There was no wind so I overheated in minutes. By the time I got to the halfway mark I had side stitches and my left knee throbbed at me and I was wheezing like an old set of bellows. I am sure my face was redder than a stop sign and good lord the sweat - it doesn't bear repeating where I was sweating the most.

So I decided to slow to a walk, take off my sweatshirt, to cool off and calm down my breathing for the last 1.5 k and already felt like a failure of a run because I can usually run the whole distance. What the hell was wrong?

I was struggling with my headphone cords, taking off my sweatshirt, my cel phone dropped (on the pavement!) and I ended up having to STOP COMPLETELY to rearrange my stupid clothes. I was FURIOUS with myself for lack of planning for the weather blah blah blah and was losing prescious time on my run which should have been my best time EVER!

So I started to run back after everything was done and I just couldn't keep up with my start out pace so I just jogged/shuffled back home and crossed the 'finish line' sad but still a bit confiused over what I had done wrong. I didn't enjoy my run like I usually do. Why?!??!

It was my husband who first tried to encourage me to go back to my old pace as it was still a challenge for me and not to go 'faster' unless my usual pace is not longer causing my heart rate to go up or to cause me to break out in a sweat. No fear of that happening any time soon. He also advised me that since I wasn't training for a race (not likely a race but a marathon...maybe...)

So lesson learned. I guess I wanted to push myself too much (a problem I didn't have before when trying to lose weight and exercise) and now I know I shouldn't. It works as well as not putting enough effort into it. 

hugs

Jenn


1 comment:

  1. I have the same struggles. I`ve learned to slow my run a little when I start to feel winded, then pick it up a bit once I`ve recovered. I used to push it to much and ended up in the same situation where I felt like I needed to walk. Focus on an easy slow run for a longer time and the speed will come on its own.

    ReplyDelete