Wednesday, February 8, 2012

...on video for Bust a Move...or not?

I did a video of this with my laptop and it ended up being like - 6 gigs of info or something like that. It would have taken 6 hours to upload so not going to happen. So no video but here is a written transcript of what I said in the video and I my sincere hope is that my voice whispers in your mind as you read it.

My struggle - and struggle it has been - for the last 15 years to be healthy and lose weight has been a very private one, that I haven't invited anyone to really share with me. So here is me, sharing with you. I feel the cause it worth it.

"If you are watching this video, thank you for your time. I have something important to share…that is important to me that is…and I hope you stay with me until the very end of the video. 

I have started 2012 with a challenge to myself. I can almost hear you think that perhaps that is the last thing I need right now, but I assure you that challenges inspire me to succeed. Perhaps it would be helpful if I mention that I define success as striving to meet or exceed any challenge or goal... so just by trying I am already succeeding…somewhat. 
I have joined a team to participate in the Bust a Move Event that is happening in Ottawa on April 21, 2012. We will be working out all day to raise funds and awareness for Breast Cancer and I need to raise $1000 just to participate. Some of my initial thoughts about this event were along the lines of “Really? Who doesn’t know about Breast Cancer yet?”, followed by “8 hours of straight fitness? Please tell me that they will have medics on site” and lastly was “Why  not? I have a thousand reasons to do this and only one really flabby reason why I couldn’t.”
     Here is another things I don’t share often but not a week goes by that I see someone drift into the store with a helpless look in their eyes. I ask them how they are doing and their story spills out like a tipped glass of water and its just pouring out of them how their mother, grandmother, aunt, sister or - my personal nightmare  - daughter has to go to see an oncologist and is in unbelievable pain from cancer, and why is it happening to her? How the hell do I know? Giving what comfort I can with words and a hug, they go. I have always felt so helpless. 

Now I feel I can do more. 
     I have signed up for a YMCA membership the second week of January and have worked out very regularily ever week so far. I have changed the way I eat, and look at food. I haven't had a tim hortons coffee for 2 weeks. I want this to happen and the Lord knows I need this for my own personal health. I have conversations with numerous people about the need for me to ‘lighten my load’ and they have been right from the beginning, but I was so adept at making excuses why I can’t work out, or how picking up fast food is my only recourse in this busy busy life of mine.

So here’s the deal – I am asking you for a pledge or a donation to help me get to Bust a Move on April 21st. I need $1000 to get there but if we all chip in a little, it can be done. I thought it would be helpful if maybe I got a pledge per workout as an extra incentive to go and workout regularily or more often. Email me at jenn@thescrapbox.ca if you want to do it that way. Otherwise, the link to donate is on the written part of the blog. Go there and follow the instructions if you could please. If you aren't able to donate because it just isn't in the budget - I get it. Totally. A bit of personal support or cheerleading goes a long way with sort of endeavor.

And thank you for reading all the way to the end. I hope to change a little bit of the world and a whole lot of me."

yours in good health

Jenn Langlois

8 comments:

  1. I am very glad your on our team! for so many reasons...but the biggest is that you GIRL have GUTS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie - you are a constant inspiration and never ending cheerleader to me and it makes such a huge difference! You have shown me the way!

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I will attend whatever fundraiser you guys put together Jenn! I am so proud of ... as I have once said in your class ... "THIS MAKES ME HAPPY"! :)

    R :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I have plans for a crop so will keep you in the loop!!! yer awesome!

      Jenn

      Delete
  3. good on you Girl!!! but this must be said!

    I am proud of the fact that you are taking your health into your own hands; even more proud of the fact that you are opening yourself up on a forum to everyone, But that said....NO MATTER WHAT SIZE YOU ARE, I will ALWAYS love you for you...it is not the outer person or shell that we love it is the blossoming soul and the beautiful spirit that is inside that we adore so much. Good luck on this adventure and again Good On You Girl!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mar - you are so like your brother who has always told me that it doesn't matter what I look like, he'll always love me. Thank you so much for your donation! An inspiration truly!

      Jenn

      Delete
  4. You are so beautiful...inside and out. I am so proud to know you and call you my friend. You girl are amazing and I will be happy to support this huge adventure of yours. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I really appreciate the support as it's going to be a huge stepping stone for me.

      Jenn

      Delete